织梦CMS - 轻松建站从此开始!

欧博ABG官网-欧博官方网址-会员登入

Don Lemon pleads no皇冠t guilty to civil rights char

时间:2026-02-15 03:08来源: 作者:admin 点击: 14 次
Former CNN host turned independent journalist Don Lemon pleaded not guilty to federal civil rights charges Friday, accused in a protest at a Minnesota

Former CNN anchor Don Lemon attends his arraignment at federal court in Saint Paul

By —

Steve Karnowski, Associated Press Steve Karnowski, Associated Press

Leave your feedback

Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Don Lemon pleads not guilty to civil rights charges in anti-ICE Minnesota church protest Politics Feb 13, 2026 2:26 PM EST

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Former CNN host turned independent journalist Don Lemon pleaded not guilty to federal civil rights charges Friday, accused in a protest at a Minnesota church where an Immigration and Customs Enforcement official is a pastor. Four other people are also set to be arraigned in the case.

READ MORE: Read the full indictment against Don Lemon, Georgia Fort and others charged in Minnesota

Lemon did not comment to reporters as he entered the courthouse accompanied by his attorney, Joe Thompson. Roughly two dozen protesters stood outside the building, chanting "Pam Bondi has got to go" and "Protect the press."

Also scheduled for arraignment Friday is civil rights attorney Nekima Levy Armstrong. The prominent local activist was the subject of a doctored photo posted on official White House social media that falsely showed her crying during her arrest. The picture is part of a deluge of AI-altered imagery that has circulated since the fatal shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti by federal officers in Minneapolis amid the Trump administration's immigration crackdown.

Lemon's attorney did not return calls this week seeking comment. Arraignments in federal court typically include the entering of pleas and scheduling of future proceedings. Lemon has said he plans to plead not guilty.

Two more defendants accused in the protest at a Southern Baptist church in St. Paul are scheduled for arraignment next week, including another independent journalist, Georgia Fort. Nine people have been charged in the case.

Protesters interrupted a service at Cities Church on Jan. 18 by chanting "ICE out" and "Justice for Renee Good," referring to the 37-year-old mother of three who was fatally shot by an ICE officer in Minneapolis last month. Lemon has said he is not affiliated with the group and that he was there as a journalist to chronicle the event for his livestream show.

WATCH: Arrests of journalists fuel backlash as anti-ICE protests spread from Minneapolis

"I have spent my entire career covering the news. I will not stop now. In fact, there is no more important time than right now, this very moment for a free and independent media that shines a light on the truth and holds those in power accountable," Lemon told reporters after his arrest.

The church protest drew sharp complaints from conservative religious and political leaders. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt warned in a social media post: "President Trump will not tolerate the intimidation and harassment of Christians in their sacred places of worship." Even clergy who oppose the administration's immigration enforcement tactics expressed discomfort.

All nine are charged under the 1994 Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act, which prohibits interference or intimidation of "any person by force, threat of force, or physical obstruction exercising or seeking to exercise the First Amendment right of religious freedom at a place of religious worship." Penalties can range up to a year in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

Thompson is one of several former prosecutors who have left the Minnesota U.S. Attorney's Office in recent weeks citing frustration with the Trump administration's immigration enforcement crackdown in the state and the Justice Department's response to the killing of Good and Pretti.

One of four lawyers registered to represent Lemon, Thompson had led the sprawling investigation of major public program fraud cases for the prosecutors office until he resigned last month. The Trump administration has cited the fraud cases, in which most defendants have come from the state's large Somali community, as justification for its immigration crackdown.

A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy.

Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue.

Donate now

Left: Former CNN anchor Don Lemon walks out of the United States District Court after his arraignment in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Feb. 13, 2026. Photo by Go Nakamura/Reuters

Related Go Deeper

By —

Steve Karnowski, Associated Press Steve Karnowski, Associated Press

Support Provided By: Learn more

Evergreen_WebAd_Sidebar_DonateNow

Educate your inbox

Subscribe to Here’s the Deal, our politics newsletter for analysis you won’t find anywhere else.

Full Episode

(责任编辑:)
------分隔线----------------------------
发表评论
请自觉遵守互联网相关的政策法规,严禁发布色情、暴力、反动的言论。
评价:
表情:
用户名: 验证码:
发布者资料
查看详细资料 发送留言 加为好友 用户等级: 注册时间:2026-02-23 03:02 最后登录:2026-02-23 03:02
栏目列表
推荐内容